About Me

My photo
Illinois, United States
I am a band director at five private schools in Kankakee. Music is a big part of my life, but knitting and crafting are right up there too. I own a ridiculous stash of yarn, which I am slowly using... and replacing with better yarn... I tend to knit and crochet a lot, in class, out of class, while watching tv, while driving, pretty much constantly. I have been involved with crochet romantically for 15 years, and involved with knitting for 11 years. They sometimes get jealous of each other. I think its funny. Along with knitting and crocheting, I quilt, spin (drop spindle) and design patterns!!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Its been a while!

Thankfully the semester is over! I have not stopped being busy this entire year, and I can finally take a break. Even though I have summer school I am doing my best to get things done!
First off, my cousins high school graduation quilt. I am currently quilting in the ditch for the bigger squares, and just about to finish that. If I still have time I will also Sew in the ditch of the smaller squares.
I am so proud of her! I taught her clarinet years ago, and she has excelled so much in the few years she has been playing. She is my prodigy student!
Its a music quilt! The black lining has composers names in gold, each square is a different instrument, piano, violin, upright bass, harp, etc. Then the fabric around the center square is filled with clarinets, drums, and other instruments! I love it!
Hopefully I can get it done by next month! I will be flying out to NJ to celebrate her high school graduation with her! yay!

This was a test crochet I did for a rav. friend. Ziggurat scarf. I really liked how easy and well written the pattern was, and I really enjoyed working with it!
Done in two different yarns!
Pooling rivulets scarf, I love how the yarn worked so well with the pattern. its so light and lofty!
I had to use this fabric! Mario party fabric purse!
With tiny cables.
This was another test knit I did for someone else on Rav, Fontana shawl. I really liked how the yarn turned out. It was an easy pattern, I learned an alternate cast on and bind off. So I felt great! The biggest lace project to date that I have taken on!
Pretty!
This was a feather and fan scarf that I did, very light. I actually wore it to a knitting class I was teaching even though I never wear scarves!
This is a mobius type scarf. Knit like feather and fan scarf in mohair. Very soft!
I had to do the branching out scarf, I just loved how it looked! So i knit it up in a bright pink. Even though I am the pink opposite girl...
And now we are getting into why I have not posted in a while! I had my junior percussion education recital at the end of this semester. I have not practiced so hard in my life! So enjoy these pictures!
Showing off my mallet bag, not all my mallets of course!
Playing my marimba solo Apparitions, I highly suggest it!
Our multi percussion piece, Mixtures. it was fun, and actually pretty simple.
My vibraphone solo, Paint Me A Sky, this was my favorite piece!
Us playing our marimba duets, I love the reflections in this recital hall!
Bowing after my marimba solo
Close up of my mallets during my marimba piece, yes I am using cross grip. It works for me!
Michelle and I bowing!
I love her! Not only is she the only other female percussionist at EIU, but she is my roomate! And she kept me going when I wanted to give up.

As our finale, I arranged Come On Eileen for percussion ensemble. I think it turned out to be a hit!

Thats all I have for now! I promise to keep up throughout the summer!

1 comment:

luganknitter said...

Thanks Arnold! I really appreciate it!