About Me

My photo
Illinois, United States
I am a band director at five private schools in Kankakee. Music is a big part of my life, but knitting and crafting are right up there too. I own a ridiculous stash of yarn, which I am slowly using... and replacing with better yarn... I tend to knit and crochet a lot, in class, out of class, while watching tv, while driving, pretty much constantly. I have been involved with crochet romantically for 15 years, and involved with knitting for 11 years. They sometimes get jealous of each other. I think its funny. Along with knitting and crocheting, I quilt, spin (drop spindle) and design patterns!!

Thursday, June 02, 2011

Just a quick note

When we went to the Gymnasium, I asked the students what they thought of the "lower" schools. They told me the truth, that they felt that they were better.

I learned last night while experiencing the German night life, (with a bunch of the Gymnasium teachers) that these students follow my blog, and felt bad for what they said about the lower schools.

I want them to know that I fully expected what they told me. I totally understand what they were saying and I do not want them to feel guilty at all.

I am doing a paper on the differences between German and American tracking in the schools. And what they said puts the reality of the tracking into perspective. I fully appreciate them being so truthful, because all the other schools were very truthful as well. I find this all very interesting.

Mind you, I was able to talk to students at the Reaschule, but when we got to the Hauptschule, we were not able to talk with the students. We were able to observe, and trust me, we noticed differences.

So to those Gymnasium students- I fully appreciate your truth! Never feel guilty about anything! You are helping me with a 15 page paper, and all the other students with me on this study abroad trip got the same answers from the classes they observed.

Thank you for being you!

No comments: