About Me

My photo
Illinois, United States
I am a band director at five private schools in Kankakee. Music is a big part of my life, but knitting and crafting are right up there too. I own a ridiculous stash of yarn, which I am slowly using... and replacing with better yarn... I tend to knit and crochet a lot, in class, out of class, while watching tv, while driving, pretty much constantly. I have been involved with crochet romantically for 15 years, and involved with knitting for 11 years. They sometimes get jealous of each other. I think its funny. Along with knitting and crocheting, I quilt, spin (drop spindle) and design patterns!!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Day Two: Skill + 1UP

New skillz within my last year of projects eh?

Well lets start off with spinning. I am counting this as important to knitting and crochet because I eventually will use the yarn to knit or crochet!

I started to teach myself how to spin using a drop spindle. I have come close to feeling comfortable with it, and I am loving the results I have been achieving.

This is the second yarn I spun up which I knit into a hat, because I didn't have much of it, and I wanted to see how it would knit up. And I liked it. A lot. Alot alot alot.

My second skein that I spun up was a challenge. I taught myself the Andean plying method, which is pretty much just wrapping the yarn around your fingers in some sort of a figure 8. It helps making it easier to spin the yarn into a two ply. Which as you see I was able to somehow do it with this yarn!


My third skein of yarn I kept single ply, and I knit it up into a scarf as soon as I had it off the drying rack. I love this yarn. But then again, I have not spun a yarn that I didnt love!

And lastly for the spinning, I have to show my current pride and joy. I am just about done with the roving, so so so close. I was hoping to finish spinning it tonight so I could put it all together and soak it, but I don't think I will have time... Sigh...
Doesn't it just make you want to drool?

Socks. They were the next big step of the past year. If you follow my blog, you will see how much I hate knitting socks. I can knit circles around scarves, hats, blankets, toys, anything but socks. But I have been trying to love them. Trying to understand why no matter how small my needles are, the socks still seem... thin... I swear to myself I will do better with socks!



The three pairs of socks that I have completed in the past year. I WILL DO BETTER THIS YEAR!

That is all on socks.

My life with yarn revolves around multiple ideas though. Not just knitting and crocheting. (If you only care about knitting and crocheting, then stop reading here. If you are a cool person, keep reading!)

This past year I had an analysis project in... analysis. And I was kinda... dared to "cross stitch" the project. I embroidered it instead. So, here is my embroidery of Joseph Haydn's Symphony Number 101 in D Major.

I am a complete nerd. I know this. But I learned how to embroider pretty fast. even though this project probably took 30+ hours, compared to the 2 hours it took the rest of my classmates. Worth every extra second.

Lastly, the farthest away from knitting and crocheting in this post, was learning how to sew quilts, and how to actually quilt, quilts.

This was a big deal for me because I have always been able to sew, but never something equal to quilt magnitude. And I bow down to anyone who can make more than two quilts in a year. It is extremely time consuming. But the finished project is epic. EPIC!

This was my first quilt. I kept it. I love it. It adorns my apartment couch. Simple pattern, but for someone practically teaching herself how to quilt, I say I did a pretty darn good job.

Next up, and lastly is the quilt I made my cousin when she graduated high school. I spent 6 months on it, far too much money (did you know making a quilt was expensive?) but every second of it was worth it to see her face when she received it!

Of course another music quilt. Because I am a music freak. Don't like it? I don't care! :)



I think all in all I have expanded my crafting knowledge over the past year. I of course would like to keep going, hopefully getting a good teaching job in the next few months so I can afford a spinning wheel. Yes, the spinning wheel will be bought before I buy a new car. I will walk to work every day if my car breaks down. As long as I have a spinning wheel to come home to!


SCARF OF DEATH IS DONE! ^
With no surprise from me, it did not block well. The yarn was acrylic. *face palm*
But its still pretty. And I will wear it. No doubt.

Until next time my awesome readers.

No comments: